Principal Engineer - Rail, London
We are seeking a talented and experienced Principal Engineer to strengthen the delivery team in our London office. Our workload is exciting and diverse and includes both Overground and Underground clients. Projects range from enhancements to major London stations through design and delivery of AFA schemes and station upgrades to replacement and refurbishment of civil engineering works. We work with Tier 1 contractors, often on an ECI model, and much of our workload is as lead consultant delivering multi-disciplinary designs packages.
We are looking for an engineer who can lead rail projects through their complete life cycle, from option study through scheme and detailed design to tender action and construction. This role requires an individual who can plan and lead multi-disciplined projects both technical and commercially, be a focal point for client contact and be able to apply consistently sound judgement. The role will work closely with the Rail Business Unit Director to develop new and secure repeat business through high quality delivery and offers great opportunities for career progression.
You will have a broad range of skills and experience designing and assessing various types of structure in a range of construction materials and therefore a strong technical background. The experience you have gained has given you an intuitive feel for civil engineering, and allows you to make engineering judgements quickly, seeking contribution from your peers and team when needed.
You will have proven experience in leading design in most or all of the below:
- Stations and accommodation buildings
- Depots and stabling
- Road, rail and footbridges
- Retaining structures
- External works and drainage
You will be able to lead senior and less experienced engineers, manage internal resources and a design supply chain. Perhaps most importantly, you will be entirely comfortable taking commercial and technical responsibility for project delivery. Actively seeking responsibility will be part of your personality. You will build relationships with our client base through sound delivery.
Your leadership will be required on some high-profile future projects. The projects will test both your technical and management capability.
- 1st or upper 2nd B Eng. / M Eng. (Hons) degree from a top UK University or equivalent
- Chartered Civil or Structural Engineer
- Demonstrable success in the execution of Rail related project
- Desire to drive projects forward and take the initiative where necessary
- Experience of:
- Acting as Civil CRE Design
- Identifying, developing and presenting civil engineering solutions
- Leading multi-disciplined design teams and projects
- Managing resources across multiple projects workloads
- Producing fee proposals, managing and reporting project commercial progress
- Liaising with clients and managing design progress meeting
- Working independently and seeing tasks through to completion with minimal input
If this is you we would love to hear from you! Please send your CV along with a covering email to firstname.lastname@example.org.